Restore Your Smile With Our Top-Rated Dentists
If you have a cavity or tooth decay, composite dental fillings may be the solution you need to restore your smile. We offer composite dental fillings, also known as tooth-colored fillings, as a safe, effective, and natural-looking option for our patients.
To schedule your appointment, contact our Staten Island dental office today by calling (718) 948-5111.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composite fillings are used to restore decayed or damaged teeth. They’re made of a mixture of plastic and glass materials that bond to the tooth, creating a strong and durable restoration. Composite fillings are a popular choice for patients because they blend in with the natural color of the teeth, making them virtually invisible.
A composite filling may be used for various reasons, including:
- Restoring decayed teeth
- Repairing chipped or broken teeth
- Filling gaps or spaces between teeth (diastemas)
- Improving the aesthetics of a smile
The Benefits of Composite Dental Fillings
Composite fillings offer several benefits, including:
- Natural Appearance: Composite fillings are tooth-colored, making them a more aesthetically pleasing option than traditional metal fillings.
- Durability: Composite fillings are strong and durable, making them a long-lasting solution for tooth decay.
- Versatility: Composite fillings can repair a variety of dental issues, including cavities, cracks, and chips.
- Preservation of Tooth Structure: Composite fillings require less removal of the tooth structure than traditional metal fillings, preserving more of the natural tooth.
- Bonding: Composite fillings bond to the tooth, creating a tight seal that helps prevent future decay.
- Non-Toxic/Hypoallergenic: Unlike silver (amalgam) fillings, composite dental fillings don’t contain toxic mercury and are far less likely to cause allergic reactions.
Who Qualifies for a Composite Filling?
Composite fillings are a suitable option for most patients with tooth decay or damage. However, some patients may not be good candidates for composite fillings, including those with:
- Extensive Tooth Decay: If the decay is too extensive, a dental crown or other restoration may be necessary.
- Teeth Grinding: Patients who grind their teeth may not be good candidates for composite fillings, as the material may wear down more quickly.
- Large Cavities: Large cavities may require a more extensive restoration, such as an inlay or onlay.
The Composite Dental Fillings Process
During your initial consultation, our dentists will examine your teeth and determine if composite fillings are the right solution for you. We’ll discuss the procedure with you and answer any questions you may have.
If you’ve been approved for composite dental fillings, we’ll design the composite filling to match the color and shape of your natural teeth. Before the filling is applied, the tooth will be cleaned and prepared for the filling. Then, we’ll remove any decayed or damaged tooth structure.
The composite filling material will be applied to the tooth in layers. Each layer will be hardened with a special light, so it cures instantly. Once the filling is complete, we’ll shape and polish it to match the natural contours of your tooth.
Caring for Your Composite Filling
Caring for your composite dental filling is essential to ensure their longevity. Here are some tips to ensure your fillings stay strong:
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene: Brush and floss your teeth regularly to prevent decay and maintain the health of your restoration.
- Avoid Hard or Sticky Foods: Hard or sticky foods can damage your fillings and cause them to wear down more quickly.
- Wear a Mouthguard: If you grind your teeth, wearing a mouthguard can help protect your dental filling and prevent further damage.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly: Regular dental checkups can help detect any issues with your fillings before they become more serious.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do composite dental fillings last?
Composite dental fillings can last up to 10 years with proper care. However, this can also vary based on factors such as your dietary habits and whether or not you grind your teeth. Be sure to visit your dentist regularly to ensure your restoration lasts and have them replaced as needed.
Are composite fillings safe?
Yes, composite fillings are safe and have been used for decades to restore teeth. They’re much less prone to causing problems than amalgam fillings, which can cause staining of surrounding teeth, galvanic shock, and allergic reactions.
Will my insurance cover composite fillings?
Most dental insurance plans cover composite dental fillings, but it’s best to check with your provider to determine your coverage. You can also talk to your dentist about in-house financing options to help reduce any costs.
Call Our Dentists Today for Dental Composite Fillings!
If you’re looking for a Staten Island family dentist who offers lasting, natural-looking composite dental fillings, look no further than us. Our team is committed to providing safe, effective, and natural-looking dental restorations, so our patients can smile with pride and without pain.
Contact us today at (718) 948-5111 to get started.
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.