Dental Crowns Can Give You a Beautiful Smile
Dental crowns restore damaged or decayed teeth, helping countless patients achieve beautiful, healthy smiles. Crowns can be made from various materials and are custom-made to fit each patient’s unique needs.
At our Staten Island dental office, our top-rated dentists offer dental crowns to meet your oral health needs. Learn more about dental crowns and discover if this restorative solution is the right fit for your smile!
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns, also known as caps or tooth crowns, are prosthetic devices placed over damaged or decayed teeth to restore their function, shape, and appearance. They’re custom-made to fit over the entire tooth, from the gum line to the chewing surface, and are usually made of porcelain, ceramic, metal, or a combination of these materials.
Tooth crowns can also be used on top of dental implants, to support dental bridges, or act as a cosmetic solution to improve the appearance of teeth.
When Are Dental Crowns Necessary?
There are multiple dental issues that a crown can fix. Dr. Napolitano may recommend dental crowns for various reasons, including:
- Protecting a Weak Tooth: If a tooth has been weakened by decay, a large filling, or a root canal, a dental crown can provide additional support and prevent the tooth from breaking.
- Restoring a Broken or Damaged Tooth: A dental crown can be used to restore a tooth that has been broken, cracked, or severely worn down. The costs of dental crowns are also cheaper than other alternatives.
- Topping a Dental Implant: After a dental implant is placed, a dental crown is often used to cover the implant and create a natural-looking tooth replacement.
- Supporting a Dental Bridge: Dental crowns can be used to support a dental bridge, which is used to replace missing teeth.
- Improving the Appearance of a Tooth: Dental crowns can be used as a cosmetic solution to improve the appearance of misshapen, discolored, or poorly spaced teeth.
Signs You Need a Dental Crown
Some signs that you need a dental crown include:
- Tooth pain or sensitivity
- A cracked or chipped tooth
- A large filling that needs to be replaced
- A tooth that has had a root canal
- A tooth that’s misshapen or discolored
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Some of the benefits of dental crowns include:
- Protection: They help protect weak or damaged teeth from further damage or decay.
- Restoration: Dental crowns can restore the function and appearance of damaged teeth.
- Durability: They’re strong and durable, and can last for many years with proper care.
- Versatility: They can be used for a variety of dental problems, from restoring a broken tooth to covering a dental implant.
- Aesthetics: Dental crowns can be made to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, creating a natural-looking and aesthetically pleasing result.
If you’re wondering how a dental crown may benefit you, contact our Staten Island dentists today to schedule your next appointment! Even if they’re not right for you, our dentists will go over your dental crown alternatives.
Types of Dental Crowns
There are various types of dental crowns, ensuring that each patient receives the solution they need to restore their smile.
Porcelain dental crowns are made of a tooth-colored material that can be matched to the shade of your natural teeth, making them a popular choice for front teeth. They’re biocompatible and produce a natural, lifelike appearance.
Metal crowns are made of gold, nickel, or other metal alloys. They’re extremely durable and can withstand heavy biting forces and last a long time. However, their metallic color makes them less popular for front teeth.
Porcelain-fused-to-Metal Crowns (PFM)
PFM crowns are made by fusing a metal base with a porcelain coating, providing the strength of the metal and the aesthetics of the porcelain. They can be used for both front and back teeth.
Zirconia crowns are made of a durable, biocompatible material that is resistant to chipping and cracking. They can be matched to the color of your natural teeth and are an ideal option for back teeth.
Same-day crowns, also known as CEREC crowns, are a type of dental crown that can be fabricated and placed in a single dental visit. This is in contrast to traditional dental crowns, which typically require multiple appointments and the use of temporary crowns while waiting for the permanent crown to be fabricated in a dental lab.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do dental crowns last?
Generally, dental crowns can last anywhere from five to 15 years or even longer with proper care. The lifespan of your dental crown will depend on various factors such as the material used, oral hygiene routine, and the amount of wear and tear the crown is subjected to. Porcelain and ceramic crowns tend to have a longer lifespan than metal or resin-based crowns.
Is it painful to get a crown?
Getting a dental crown should not be painful as the procedure is usually performed with a local anesthetic. Some patients may experience some discomfort or sensitivity during or after the procedure. Your dentist can prescribe pain medication or recommend over-the-counter pain relievers to manage any discomfort.
How long does it take to put a crown on a tooth?
Generally, it takes two dental visits to complete the dental crown process. The total time it takes to place a dental crown on a tooth can vary depending on the specific case and the dentist’s technique. Your dentist will provide a treatment timeline at your initial consultation.
Can a crown be placed in one day?
Yes, it’s possible to get a dental crown placed in one day using a technology called CEREC (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics). This technology allows the dentist to create and place a custom crown in a single dental visit. The dentist will take digital impressions of the tooth, design the crown using computer-aided design (CAD) software, and then use an in-office milling machine to fabricate the crown.
Discover if Dental Crowns Are Right for You
Dental crowns are a popular and effective way to restore damaged or decayed teeth. With advances in technology, there are now various types of dental crowns available, each with its unique advantages and disadvantages. Call our Staten Island office at (718) 948 5111 today to schedule a consultation with our dentists.
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.