Learn How You Can Receive Dental Crowns in Just One Visit
Dental crowns restore the function and appearance of damaged or weakened teeth, and advancements in digital technology have made it possible to place crowns in just one visit. Read on to discover if same-day crowns are right for you. Our Staten Island dentists will give you the knowledge you need to understand what the best treatment for your needs is.
What Are Same-Day Dental Crowns?
Same-day dental crowns, also known as CEREC crowns, are custom-made dental restorations that can be designed, fabricated, and placed in a single visit to specific dental offices. They restore the function and appearance of damaged, decayed, or weakened teeth.
Benefits of Same-Day Dental Crowns
The benefits of same-day dental crowns include:
- Convenience: Same-day crowns save time by eliminating the need for multiple dental appointments, temporary crowns, and waiting for weeks to receive the permanent crown.
- Comfort: These crowns are designed and placed in a single visit, which reduces the time spent in the dental chair, making the process more comfortable for patients.
- Precision: One-visit crowns are created using digital technology, which provides accurate and precise measurements, resulting in a more precise and better-fitting crown.
- Aesthetics: Same-day dental crowns can be customized to match the color, shape, and size of the surrounding teeth, providing a natural and seamless appearance.
Candidacy for Same-Day Dental Crowns
Candidates for same-day dental crowns typically have:
- Damaged, decayed, or weakened teeth that require restoration
- Sufficient healthy tooth structure to support the crown
- No significant bite or jaw alignment issues
- Good overall oral health
Your Staten Island dentist can evaluate your teeth and determine if same-day crowns are the best option for your needs.
How Do Same-Day Dental Crowns Work?
Before the same-day dental crown procedure can begin, the tooth that requires restoration must be cleaned, and any decay or damage must be removed. This process ensures that the crown fits perfectly and provides the necessary support to the tooth.
Next, our dentists will use an intraoral scanner to take a digital impression of the prepared tooth and surrounding teeth. The digital impression provides accurate and precise measurements used to design the crown.
The digital impression is then used to create a 3D model of the tooth that requires the crown. Using computer-aided design (CAD) software, your Staten Island dentist designs the crown to ensure it fits perfectly with the patient’s other teeth and bite.
Once the design is complete, our dentists send the data to a computer-aided milling machine. The milling machine uses a block of ceramic or other dental material to fabricate the crown. The milling process typically takes around 15 to 20 minutes.
After the crown is milled, it’s ready to be placed. Your dentist will check the fit and make any necessary adjustments. The crown is then cemented onto the prepared tooth using dental adhesive. The entire process usually takes a few hours, and patients can leave with their new, permanent crowns in place.
Caring for Same-Day Crowns
To ensure that your same-day crown lasts as long as possible, make sure you’re doing the following:
- Pristine Oral Hygiene Routine: Maintain good oral hygiene practices, including brushing your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristle toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Floss daily to remove plaque and debris from between teeth and along the gumline. Use an antibacterial mouthwash as recommended by your dentist.
- Avoid Hard or Sticky Foods: Be cautious when consuming hard, crunchy, or sticky foods that can potentially damage or dislodge the crown. Chewing on ice, hard candies, or using your teeth to open packages should be avoided to prevent unnecessary stress on the crown.
- Attend Regular Dental Appointments: Attend regular dental checkups and professional cleanings as advised by your dentist. These visits allow the dentist to assess the condition of your dental crown, identify any issues early on, and perform necessary maintenance or adjustments.
- Use a Nightguard or Bite Splint: If you have a habit of grinding or clenching your teeth (bruxism), your dentist may recommend wearing a nightguard or bite splint to protect your dental crown and natural teeth from excessive force and wear.
- Avoid Tobacco and Limit Staining Substances: Tobacco products, such as cigarettes or chewing tobacco, can stain the dental crown and compromise its appearance. You may also consider limiting the consumption of staining substances like coffee, tea, red wine, or colored beverages to maintain the natural color of the crown.
- Address Concerns Promptly: If you experience any discomfort, or sensitivity, or notice a change in the fit or appearance of the dental crown, contact your dentist promptly for an evaluation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are same-day dental crowns more expensive than traditional crowns?
The cost of same-day dental crowns can vary depending on the dentist and the location. Generally, same-day crowns may be slightly more expensive than traditional crowns due to the advanced technology and materials used. Same-day crowns can also save you money in the long run by reducing the number of dental visits needed and the associated costs.
How long does it take to receive same-day dental crowns?
Same-day dental crowns can typically be completed in a single dental appointment, usually lasting around two hours. Traditional dental crowns require two or more appointments, with a waiting period of several days to a few weeks for the permanent crown to be fabricated in a dental laboratory.
Do same-day dental crowns hurt?
The process of getting a same-day dental crown involves minimal discomfort, as the dentist will use a local anesthetic to numb the tooth and surrounding area before any work is done. After the procedure, you may experience some minor sensitivity or discomfort that can be managed with over-the-counter pain medication.
Transform Your Smile in Just One Appointment
Same-day crowns are an excellent option for patients who require dental restorations but cannot commit to multiple dental appointments or waiting periods. With the use of digital technology, same-day dental crowns have revolutionized the way dental restorations are performed. Call our Staten Island office at (718) 948-5111 to schedule a consultation with our dentists.
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.