Fight Gum Disease in Staten Island, NY
At our Staten Island dental office, our experienced team of dental professionals is dedicated to helping patients achieve healthy gums and maintain optimal oral health. The best way to do that is through educating patients on common dental ailments and their prevention. Gum disease is a common condition that can lead to serious oral health problems if left untreated.
From non-surgical treatments to periodontal surgery, our dentists customize our approach to each patient’s unique needs and goals. We’re committed to providing exceptional care and helping patients achieve a healthy, confident smile.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, affects the gums and surrounding tissues of the teeth. It’s caused by bacterial buildup and plaque on the teeth, which can lead to inflammation, swelling, infection, and other symptoms. If left untreated, gum disease can cause serious damage to the teeth and gums, leading to tooth loss and other health complications.
Stages of Gum Disease
Gum disease is typically divided into three stages: gingivitis, periodontitis, and advanced periodontitis. Each stage of gum disease requires different levels of treatment. It’s important to address the condition as early as possible to prevent further damage.
Gingivitis is the earliest stage of gum disease and is characterized by inflammation and swelling of the gums. Symptoms of gingivitis include redness, bleeding, and tenderness of the gums. One of our dentists can help treat gingivitis through dental cleanings and by encouraging patients to maintain good oral hygiene habits at home.
Periodontitis is the second stage of gum disease and occurs when inflammation and infection spread from the gums to the surrounding tissues and bone. Symptoms of periodontitis include receding gums, deep pockets between the teeth and gums, and bone loss. Treatment for periodontitis may include scaling and root planing, antibiotics, and surgery.
Advanced periodontitis is the most severe stage of gum disease and occurs when the infection has spread deep into the tissues and bone. Symptoms of advanced periodontitis include severe bone loss, tooth loss, and gum recession. Treatment for advanced periodontitis may include gum grafting, bone grafting, and tooth extraction.
Gum Disease Treatment Options
There are various gum disease treatment options available. Those may include:
- Professional Cleaning: Dental cleanings are simple and effective ways to remove plaque and bacteria from the teeth and gums. During a professional cleaning, a dental hygienist will use specialized tools to remove buildup from the teeth and gums, leaving them clean and healthy.
- Scaling and Root Planing: Scaling and root planing is a deep cleaning procedure that removes plaque and bacteria from below the gum line. This procedure is typically used to treat periodontitis and can help prevent further damage to the teeth and gums.
- Laser Periodontal Therapy: Laser periodontal therapy is a minimally-invasive treatment option for gum disease that utilizes laser technology to remove infected tissue and promote healing. This treatment can be an effective alternative to traditional gum surgery, with less pain, swelling, and downtime.
- Bone and Gum Grafting: Bone and gum grafting restores lost bone and gum tissue due to advanced gum disease or tooth loss. During the procedure, grafts of bone or tissue are taken from other areas of the mouth or a donor source and transplanted to the affected area to promote new tissue growth.
- Antibiotics: Antibiotics can help kill the bacteria that cause gum disease and reduce inflammation and infection.
- Surgery: In some cases, surgery may be necessary to treat advanced gum disease. Surgery options may include gum grafting, bone grafting, or tooth extraction.
Call our Staten Island dental practice today to learn more about our gum disease treatment options.
Costs of Gum Disease Treatment
The cost of your gum disease treatment will depend upon several factors including the severity of the disease, the type of treatment, and your location. In general, the costs will typically range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can gum disease be prevented?
Yes, gum disease can be prevented by practicing good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and checkups.
How do I know if I have gum disease?
Symptoms of gum disease include redness, swelling, bleeding, and tenderness of the gums. If you‘re experiencing any of these symptoms, see your dentist for an evaluation so they can determine if you have gum disease and how far advanced it is.
Is gum disease contagious?
No, gum disease is not contagious. However, bacteria that cause gum disease can be spread through saliva, so it’s important to practice good oral hygiene habits to prevent the spread of bacteria.
Can gum disease cause other health problems?
Yes, gum disease has been linked to other health problems, including heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Maintaining good oral hygiene and treating gum disease promptly can help reduce the risk of these health complications.
Let Us Help You Fight Gum Disease
Wondering how to find a periodontist that works well for you? We’ve got you covered.
If you’re experiencing symptoms of gum disease or have concerns about your oral health, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with Staten Island dentists. Our team of dental professionals is here to provide you with the care and support you need to maintain healthy teeth and gums.
To schedule an appointment, call us at (718) 948-5111. We look forward to helping you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile!
We accept many insurances. Please contact one of our Insurance Coordinators to discuss your dental coverage plan.
(718) 948 5111
Open 7 days a week
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.