Restore Your Smile With Partial Dentures
A smile is one of the most powerful tools we have to connect with others, but when missing teeth become a source of embarrassment or discomfort, it can be difficult to confidently share that smile. Luckily, our dental professionals offer various restorative solutions to help restore missing teeth and improve the overall appearance and function of the mouth.
Our Staten Island dentists offer removable partial dentures that are comfortable, durable, and realistic-looking, making them a popular choice for people looking to improve their smile and regain their confidence. Contact us today at (718) 948-5111 for a consultation.
What Are Partial Dentures?
Partial dentures are removable dental prosthetics designed to replace one or more missing teeth. They consist of a base made of either acrylic or metal, which is colored to match the patient’s gums, and replacement teeth attached to the base. Partial removable dentures can be attached to the remaining teeth using clasps, which help to keep the denture in place.
Benefits of Partial Dentures
Partial dentures offer patients several benefits, including:
- Aesthetics: Removable partial dentures help restore a more natural-looking smile by replacing missing teeth.
- Functionality: Partial dentures improve the individual’s ability to chew food properly, aiding digestion and nutritional absorption. They also restore the ability to speak more clearly, especially if the missing teeth previously affected pronunciation.
- Facial Support: Teeth provide support to the facial muscles. Missing teeth can lead to sagging of the facial muscles, making an individual appear older. A removable partial denture provides necessary support, maintaining the natural shape of the face.
- Affordable: In many cases, partial dentures can be more affordable than other tooth replacement options like dental implants or fixed bridges.
The Partial Denture Process
Receiving partial dentures is a non-invasive process. You can expect the following:
- Consultation and Exam: You’ll first start with an initial consultation and exam with our Staten Island dentists. They’ll evaluate your oral health to determine if partial dentures suit your needs. We may also take dental X-rays or impressions of your teeth to create a model of your mouth.
- Preparation: If necessary, we may need to prepare your remaining teeth for partial dentures. This may include reshaping them or filling in cavities.
- Trial Fitting: Our dentists will create trial dentures made of wax or plastic. This allows you to see how the denture will fit and feel in your mouth. Adjustments will be made to ensure a comfortable fit if needed.
- Final Fitting: Your finalized denture will be created after the trial one is approved. It may take a few weeks for the partial denture to be made. When it’s ready, our dentist will fit the dentures into your mouth, making any final adjustments.
- Follow-Up: Our dentists will schedule follow-up appointments to ensure that your dentures are fitting right and not causing you any problems.
How to Care for Partial Dentures
Proper care not only keeps your partial dentures looking and feeling fresh but also supports overall oral health. We recommend you do the following:
- Handle With Care: Always hold your dentures gently to avoid dropping them. Using a folded towel or basin filled with water while cleaning can act as a cushion in case they slip.
- Rinse After Eating: After meals, remove and rinse the dentures to get rid of any food particles.
- Brush Daily: Use a soft denture brush to clean every surface of the denture daily. Avoid using regular toothpaste as it might be too abrasive.
- Use a Denture Cleaner: Opt for non-abrasive denture cleaners. Avoid using bleach-containing products as they can weaken the dentures and alter their color. Always ensure that the product you choose is compatible with your type of denture.
- Keep Them Moist: Most removable partial dentures need moisture to maintain their shape. When not in use, place them in a denture-soaking solution or plain water.
- Regular Dental Visits: Just like your natural teeth, dentures require professional maintenance. Visit our dentist at least twice a year for professional cleaning and to check for any adjustments or repairs.
Partial Dentures Candidacy
Factors to consider when determining candidacy for partial dentures include:
- Overall oral health: Candidates for partial dentures should have good oral health and healthy gums. If gum disease or other oral health issues are present, they should be addressed before considering partial denture treatment.
- Number of missing teeth: Partial dentures are designed to replace one or more missing teeth. If a person has lost a significant number of teeth, full dentures or implant-supported dentures may be a better option.
- Remaining teeth: There must be enough healthy remaining teeth to support the partial denture. The remaining teeth must also be strong enough to withstand the pressure of the dental restoration.
- Jawbone density: The jawbone must have sufficient density to support the partial denture. If the jawbone has deteriorated significantly, bone grafting or other procedures may be necessary before partial dentures can be considered.
- Patient’s ability to maintain oral hygiene: Partial dentures require proper cleaning and maintenance to prevent decay and gum disease. Patients must be able to maintain good oral hygiene practices to ensure the longevity and effectiveness of their partial dentures.
To see if partial dentures are right for your oral health needs, contact our Staten Island dentists today at (718) 948-5111 to schedule a consultation.
Partial Denture Cost
While costs vary from patient to patient, partial dentures typically cost between $1,000 to $2,000. The following factors will influence how much your partial dentures will cost:
- Dentist’s Experience and Reputation
- Complexity of the Case
- Additional Treatments
- Dental Insurance
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do partial dentures last?
On average, partial dentures can last for 5 to 10 years or more with proper care and maintenance. The lifespan of your partial dentures will depend on several factors, including the quality of the materials used, how well you care for them, and how much wear and tear they undergo.
Will wearing partial dentures affect my speech?
It may take some time to get used to speaking with partial dentures, but most people adjust quickly and without any problems. You may notice some minor changes in your speech initially, such as a slight lisp, but these should improve with time and practice.
Schedule An Appointment With Our Dentists
At our dental office in Staten Island, we’re committed to helping you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile. If you’re missing one or several teeth, our team can provide you with custom-made partial dentures that fit comfortably and look natural.
Our experienced dentists and staff will work closely with you to ensure that your partial dentures meet your needs and exceed your expectations. Contact us today at (718) 948-5111 to schedule a consultation and learn more about how partial dentures can improve your oral health and quality of life.
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.