A Modern Solution for Denture Wearers
Losing your teeth can be a stressful and difficult experience, but it’s essential to remember that you’re not alone. Millions of people worldwide suffer from tooth loss due to age, injury, or other factors. While traditional dentures have been the go-to solution for many years, they can be uncomfortable and unstable, leading to difficulties eating and speaking.
Fortunately, snap-in dentures can enhance and restore your smile. Learn more with our Staten Island dentists by calling (718) 948-5111 today.
What Are Snap-in Dentures?
Snap-in dentures, or snap-on dentures, are a type of denture that uses dental implants to provide additional support and stability. These dentures attach to the implants using snaps or other types of connectors, allowing them to stay securely in place. Unlike conventional dentures that sit on top of the gums, snap-in dentures are held in place by implants that are surgically placed into the jawbone.
Snap-in Denture Benefits
Patients who receive snap-in dentures may receive the following benefits:
- Stability and Security: Because they’re anchored to dental implants, snap-in dentures are more stable and secure than traditional dentures. This prevents the dentures from slipping or coming loose while talking or eating.
- Improved Function: The added stability means that you can bite and chew food more effectively.
- Bone Preservation: Dental implants help preserve the jawbone by providing stimulation, similar to natural tooth roots. This can prevent or reduce bone loss that typically occurs after the loss of natural teeth.
- Better Fit: Over time, the jawbone can change and shrink, which might lead to traditional dentures fitting poorly. The stimulation provided by the implants can reduce these changes, leading to a better long-term fit.
- Increased Comfort: Because they don’t move around, snap-in dentures are more comfortable than traditional dentures.
- Less Reliance on Adhesives: There’s less need for denture adhesives or pastes, which can be messy and inconvenient.
- Improved Self-confidence: With the added security and stability, many patients feel more confident speaking, laughing, and eating.
- Natural Look and Feel: Snap-in dentures are designed to look and feel like natural teeth.
- Protection of Remaining Natural Teeth: If a patient still has some of their natural teeth, an overdenture can be designed, which might help protect those remaining teeth from excessive wear or damage.
- Improved Speech: The stability of snap-in dentures can improve the clarity of speech.
Individuals who possess the following qualities may qualify for snap-in dentures:
- Healthy Jawbone: The jawbone must be healthy and strong enough to support dental implants. This is determined by our dentists through a dental examination and x-rays.
- Adequate Bone Density: There must be enough bone density in the jaw to support the implants. In some cases, bone grafting may be necessary to build up the bone density.
- Good Oral Health: Candidates for snap-in dentures must have good oral hygiene habits and be committed to maintaining their dental health.
- Non-smoker: Smoking can negatively impact the healing process of the implant and increase the risk of implant failure. Candidates for snap-in dentures should be non-smokers or willing to quit smoking.
- Number of Missing Teeth: Snap-in dentures can replace multiple missing teeth, but if a patient is missing too many teeth, they may require a different treatment plan.
- Patient’s Lifestyle: Our dentists will consider the patient’s lifestyle, including their dietary habits and activity level, before determining if snap-in dentures are the best option.
To determine what type of denture may work best for you, contact our Staten Island dentists today at (718) 948-5111 to schedule an appointment.
Snap-In Dentures Process
You’ll meet with our Staten Island dentista for an initial consultation. During this appointment, your oral health will be assessed, and your specific needs and preferences will be discussed. We’ll also take impressions of your gums and any remaining teeth to create a personalized dental treatment plan.
Based on the impressions and your preferences, our dentists will work on designing the snap-in dentures. They’ll determine the appropriate size, shape, and color of the removable dentures, to match your natural teeth and provide a comfortable fit.
Preparing the Mouth
In some cases, any remaining damaged teeth might need to be extracted to make way for permanent dentures. Our dentists will perform any necessary extractions and address any oral health issues before moving forward.
Implant Placement (If Required)
Snap-in dentures can be attached using dental implants or can be supported by natural teeth. If you opt for dental implants, this step involves placing small titanium posts into your jawbone. The number of implants will depend on the type of snap-in dentures you’re getting.
Temporary Dentures (If Needed)
While your mouth heals from any extractions or implant placement, you might be given temporary dentures to wear. These regular dentures will help you maintain your appearance and ability to chew during the healing process.
Impressions for Final Dentures
Once your mouth has healed or the implants have integrated with the bone, the dentist will take another set of impressions. These will be used to create the final dentures that will fit precisely in your mouth.
Using the impressions and the treatment plan, the dental lab will create your snap-in dentures. The dentures will be fabricated to ensure a proper fit, optimal comfort, and a natural appearance.
When the final dentures are ready, you’ll visit the dentist for a fitting. Our dentist will ensure that the dentures fit correctly and make any necessary adjustments to ensure comfort and stability.
Placement and Testing
If you have chosen implant-supported snap-in dentures, the implants will be tested for stability, and the dentures will be attached to the implants using special connectors. This attachment ensures that the dentures snap securely in place.
After wearing the snap-in dentures for a little while, you might identify areas that need adjustment. Whether it’s pressure points or comfort issues, visit our Staten Island dentist for any required adjustments.
How Much Do Snap-On Dentures Cost?
Patients should expect to spend between $3,000 to $8,000 for snap-on dentures. Of course, certain factors influence the cost of your denture set, including:
- Location: The cost of dental procedures often varies by region and city. Dental services tend to be more expensive in larger cities and affluent areas.
- Number of Implants: The cost will depend on how many dental implants are required to support the denture. A full set of implant-supported dentures typically requires four to six implants per arch. More implants can increase the cost.
- Type of Implants: The type and brand of dental implants used can affect the cost. Some implant systems are more expensive than others.
- Additional Procedures: If you require any additional dental procedures, such as bone grafting or tooth extractions, the cost will increase.
- Dental Insurance: Dental insurance plans may cover a portion of the cost, so it’s important to check your insurance policy for coverage details.
- Dentist’s Experience: Experienced oral surgeons or prosthodontists may charge higher fees for their services.
- Material and Quality: The materials used for the denture base and teeth can impact the cost. High-quality materials may cost more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can snap-on dentures be removed?
Yes, snap-on dentures can be removed for cleaning and maintenance. However, they’re designed to stay securely in place during normal activities like eating and speaking. The denture is attached to dental implants using a special attachment mechanism that snaps the denture in place. This allows the denture to be easily removed for cleaning or repair but ensures that it remains firmly in place when needed.
How do I care for my snap-in dentures?
Some tips for caring for your snap-in dentures include:
- Clean your denture daily with a soft toothbrush and a non-abrasive denture cleaner. Avoid using regular toothpaste, as it can be too abrasive and damage the denture.
- Rinse your denture thoroughly with water after eating to remove any food particles or debris.
- Remove the denture for cleaning at least once a day, and brush it gently with a soft toothbrush and denture cleaner.
- Store your denture in a clean, dry place when you’re not wearing it. Avoid storing it in hot or damp areas, as this can damage the denture.
- Attend regular dental check-ups to ensure the implants and dentures are in good condition, and to address any issues that may arise.
Discover How Snap-In Dentures Can Improve Your Life
Snap-in dentures can provide a comfortable and stable alternative to traditional dentures for individuals who have lost some or all of their natural teeth. With their ability to snap into place using dental implants, snap-in dentures offer greater functionality and can make it easier to eat a wide range of foods.
If you’re considering snap-in dentures, schedule a consultation with our Staten Island dentists by giving us a call at (718) 948-5111.
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.