Picture Yourself With a Picture-Perfect Smile
Is your smile marred by gaps where teeth should be? Or are you dealing with cracked, broken, or decayed teeth that may need extraction? Dental implants can effectively replace single or multiple missing or unsalvageable teeth for improved aesthetics and chewing ability. They integrate with your jawbone better than bridges or dentures. If you think dental implants may be the answer to your dental problems, call our Staten Island office at (718) 948-5111 to set up your appointment.
What Are Implant-Retained Bridges?
Implant-retained bridges are a type of dental restoration that uses dental implants to support a bridge. A dental bridge is a prosthetic that replaces one or more missing teeth. The bridge is anchored to the jawbone using dental implant posts.
An implant-retained bridge has four parts:
- Titanium Posts: These are the base of your restoration. They’re surgically placed into the jawbone and act as a natural tooth root, stimulating the bone.
- Abutment: A small metal connector attached to the implant posts.
- Porcelain Crown: These are customized restorations placed over the abutments to give you a natural-looking smile.
- Pontic Teeth: The prosthetic teeth cemented to the neighboring porcelain crowns.
Candidacy for Implant-Retained Bridges
To qualify for implant-retained bridges, you need adequate jawbone density and good overall oral health. Ideal candidates should also be non-smokers, as smoking can increase the risk of implant failure. Implant-retained bridges aren’t recommended for patients who have active periodontal disease, uncontrolled diabetes, or other medical conditions that may impact healing.
Implant-Retained Bridge Benefits
Benefits of an implant-retained bridge include:
- Provides a permanent solution to missing teeth
- Doesn’t rely on the support of other teeth, which means it doesn’t put additional stress on healthy teeth
- Can prevent further tooth loss
- Looks and feels like natural teeth
- Restores a patient’s ability to eat and speak normally
Cons of Implant-Retained Bridges
As with any other tooth replacement, there are a few drawbacks patients should be aware of. Cons of implant-retained bridges can include:
- More invasive and expensive procedure compared to traditional bridges
- The healing process can take several months
- Risk of implant failure or infection
- Patients need adequate jawbone density and good overall oral health
- Not recommended for patients who have active periodontal disease, uncontrolled diabetes, or other medical conditions that may impact healing
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do implant-retained bridges last?
Implant-retained bridges can last a lifetime, but their lifespan depends on factors such as the quality of the implant, the patient’s oral hygiene routine, and overall health. Regular dental check-ups and cleanings must be scheduled to help increase the longevity of implant-retained bridges.
Is there an age limit for implant-retained bridges?
There’s no age limit for implant-retained bridges. However, implant-retained bridges aren’t typically recommended for patients whose jaws are still developing. Some older patients may have a lower jawbone density, which can affect the success of the implant. In these cases, implant-retained bridges may not be the best replacement option.
How much does an implant-retained bridge cost?
The cost of an implant-retained bridge varies depending on factors such as the number of missing teeth, the location of the practice, and the type of implant used. Typically, implant-retained bridges can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $30,000 or more.
Are Implant-Retained Bridges Right for You?
If you’re missing multiple teeth, it’s time to find the best replacement option. To learn more about implant-retained bridges, contact our Staten Island dentists. We’ll help you get the treatment you need to better your oral health and improve your smile’s appearance.
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.