Correct Your Overbite With Invisalign®
An overbite is a common dental issue where the upper front teeth overlap with the lower front teeth. While many people may have a slight overbite, severe cases can lead to dental health problems such as jaw pain, difficulty speaking, and tooth decay. Fortunately, advancements in orthodontic technology have made it easier than ever to correct an overbite. Invisalign®, a popular clear aligner treatment, has helped many patients achieve a healthier and more beautiful smile.
Our Staten Island Invisalign providers are here to help you treat your overbite and give you the smile of your dreams.
What Is an Overbite?
An overbite is a dental condition where the upper teeth overlap the lower teeth excessively. In some cases, the overbite may be so severe that the lower teeth are entirely hidden behind the upper teeth. Overbites can be caused by various factors, such as genetics, thumb sucking, and tongue thrusting.
An overbite can cause several dental problems, including:
- Speech difficulties
- Difficulty chewing and biting
- Jaw pain and discomfort
- Teeth grinding
- Wear and tear on teeth
There are two types of overbites:
- Vertical Overbite: The upper teeth overlap the bottom teeth vertically.
- Horizontal Overbite: This refers to the condition when the upper teeth protrude forward over the lower teeth.
How Can Invisalign Correct an Overbite?
Invisalign is a clear aligner system that helps straighten teeth and correct bite issues, such as overbites.
Aligners Gradually Shift Teeth
Invisalign aligners work by gradually shifting the teeth into the correct position. Each set of aligners is slightly different and customized to the individual’s teeth. The aligners apply gentle pressure to the teeth to move them into the desired position, effectively correcting the overbite.
Aligners Are Designed for a Perfect Fit
Your dentist can adjust the aligners as needed to ensure a perfect fit. This ensures that the teeth are moving in the correct direction and at the right pace to correct the overbite. This personalized treatment approach ensures that patients get the best possible results from their Invisalign treatment.
Clear Aligners Are Discreet
Invisalign aligners are clear and virtually invisible. This makes them a great option for those who are self-conscious about wearing traditional braces. Patients who opt for Invisalign can correct their overbite without anyone noticing, making it an excellent choice for adults who may feel embarrassed about wearing braces.
Benefits of Correcting an Overbite
Correcting your overbite with Invisalign can lead to various benefits, including:
- Improved Aesthetic Appearance: Overbites can affect the shape and appearance of a person’s face. Orthodontic treatment can improve one’s self-esteem and confidence by enhancing facial aesthetics.
- Better Oral Function: Overbites can interfere with proper chewing and speaking. Correction of the overbite can improve these basic oral functions.
- Decreased Risk of Tooth Damage: Overbites can cause undue wear on certain teeth more than others, increasing the risk of damage, breakage, and tooth decay. By correcting the overbite, it’s possible to distribute the biting and chewing forces evenly across all teeth, reducing these risks.
- Reduced Jaw Pain: An overbite can place extra stress on the jaw, leading to chronic pain and discomfort, and even conditions such as temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD). Correction of the overbite can alleviate these symptoms.
- Improved Oral Hygiene: Overcrowded or misaligned teeth can make proper brushing and flossing difficult, thereby increasing the risk of oral diseases. Correcting an overbite can make it easier to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Prevention of Other Health Problems: There’s evidence to suggest that untreated overbites can contribute to other health problems, such as sleep apnea, breathing issues, and even digestive problems due to improper chewing. Treating an overbite can have overall health benefits.
- Improved Smile: Besides the functional benefits, correcting an overbite often results in a more aligned and attractive smile.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Invisalign correct an overbite in children?
Yes, Invisalign can correct an overbite in children. However, it’s recommended that children wait until all of their permanent teeth have grown in before starting Invisalign treatment. In some cases, early intervention may be necessary to prevent the overbite from getting worse. Your dentist will assess your child’s teeth and determine the best treatment plan.
Can Invisalign treat both overbites and underbites?
Yes, Invisalign can treat both overbites and underbites. Invisalign aligners are designed to apply gentle, consistent pressure to gradually shift your teeth into the correct position. This makes them an effective treatment option for a variety of bite issues. Your dentist will evaluate your case and determine if Invisalign is the right treatment option for you.
Can Invisalign be used to fix an overbite caused by thumb sucking?
Yes, Invisalign can help fix an overbite caused by thumb sucking. Thumb sucking can cause the front teeth to protrude, leading to an overbite. Invisalign aligners can help gradually shift the teeth back into the correct position, which can help improve the overbite.
Say Goodbye to Overbites
Your smile is one of the first things people notice about you, and it’s never too late to make a change. Take the first step towards a more confident you by scheduling a consultation with our team today. We are here to help you achieve the smile you deserve. Contact us at (718) 948-5111 to book your appointment and start your journey toward a happier, healthier smile.
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.