Come Back to Life With Customized TMD Treatment Strategies
TMJ disorders, also known as temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD), can significantly impact a person’s quality of life. Fortunately, there are several treatment options available to ease the symptoms and improve the functioning of the jaw.
Our Staten Island dentists want patients to know about the various treatments for TMJ disorders and how they can help relieve pain and improve their quality of life.
Non-Surgical TMD Treatments
Non-surgical TMD treatment is often recommended first. These treatments include:
- Resting the Jaw: Avoiding activities that aggravate the condition, such as chewing gum or eating hard foods, can help alleviate TMJ pain. Soft foods like soup, mashed potatoes, and smoothies can be easier to eat and put less strain on the jaw.
- Medications: Over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen can help alleviate pain and inflammation. Dr. Name may also prescribe muscle relaxers to ease tension in the muscles around the jaw.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy exercises can help strengthen the muscles around the jaw and improve mobility. The exercises may include stretching, massage, and relaxation techniques.
- Oral Splints or Mouth guards: Oral splints or mouth guards are custom-made devices that are worn in the mouth to help alleviate the symptoms of TMD. These oral appliances can help reduce teeth grinding and clenching, which can put pressure on the jaw.
Surgical TMD Treatments
Non-surgical treatments may not be effective in relieving the symptoms of TMD. In these cases, surgical TMD treatments may be necessary. These treatments include:
- Arthrocentesis: Arthrocentesis is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that helps irrigate and flush out debris and inflammatory byproducts. This can help reduce pain and improve mobility.
- Arthroscopy: Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that involves inserting a small camera into the jaw joint to visualize the area and make repairs. This can help repair damaged cartilage, remove scar tissue, and improve joint function.
- Open-Joint Surgery: Open-joint surgery is a more invasive surgical procedure typically reserved for severe cases of TMD that don’t respond to other treatments. Your oral surgeon may remove damaged tissue, reposition the jaw, or replace the joint.
- Joint Replacement: If the joint is severely damaged or deteriorated, joint replacement surgery may be necessary. This procedure involves removing the damaged joint and replacing it with an artificial joint.
Holistic TMD Treatments
In addition to traditional medical treatments and alternative therapies, there are also holistic TMD treatments that can help ease symptoms. Here are some examples of holistic treatments for TMD:
- Stress Management: Practicing stress relieving techniques like deep breathing, meditation, and yoga can help reduce stress and tension in the body.
- Diet and Nutrition: Eating a healthy, balanced diet can help reduce inflammation and improve overall health. Avoid foods that are high in sugar, salt, and processed ingredients.
- Chewing and Posture: Chewing slowly and taking small bites can help reduce the strain on the jaw. Maintaining good posture can help reduce tension in the neck and shoulders.
- Acupressure: Acupressure involves applying pressure to specific points on the body to relieve pain and tension. This holistic solution can help reduce muscle tension and promote relaxation.
- Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy involves using essential oils to promote relaxation and reduce stress. Some essential oils, such as lavender and peppermint, can help manage TMJ disorder symptoms.
- Massage Therapy: Massage therapy can reduce tension in the muscle that controls jaw movement and improve blood circulation in the affected areas.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it typically take for TMD symptoms to improve with treatment?
The length of time it takes for TMD symptoms to improve with treatment can vary depending on the severity of the condition and the chosen treatment plan. Some people may experience relief within a few weeks, while others may need several months of treatment to see significant improvement.
What is the success rate of TMD treatments?
The success rate of TMD treatments vary depending on the severity of the condition and the chosen treatment plan. However, studies have shown that many people experience significant improvement in their symptoms with conservative, non-invasive treatments like resting the jaw, medications, and physical therapy.
Can stress management techniques help alleviate TMD symptoms?
Yes! Stress is a common trigger for TMD symptoms, so stress management techniques like meditation, deep breathing exercises, and muscle relaxation techniques can help alleviate symptoms. Stress management may be included as part of a comprehensive treatment plan for TMD.
Will my insurance cover TMD treatments?
The coverage of TMD treatments by insurance can vary depending on the provider and the chosen treatment plan. Some insurance plans may cover conservative treatments like physical therapy and medications, while others may not cover more invasive treatments like surgery. Check with your insurance provider to understand your coverage options.
Determining Which Treatment is Best for Your Needs
If you’re experiencing symptoms of TMD, it’s necessary to seek a professional diagnosis and treatment plan from a qualified healthcare provider. Finding a TMD provider with experience is necessary for your health. When determining which treatment is best for your needs, it’s critical to consider the severity of your symptoms, underlying medical conditions, and personal preferences.
Contact our Staten Island dentists and they’ll help you weigh the benefits and risks of each treatment option and develop a comprehensive treatment plan tailored to your individual needs.
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.