Straighten Your Teen’s Teeth Discreetly With Invisalign Teen™
If you’re a teenager or a parent of a teen considering orthodontic treatment, you may be curious about your options. Invisalign Teen has become an increasingly sought-after alternative to traditional metal braces, offering a more discreet and comfortable approach to teeth straightening.
Our team at our Staten Island dental office is ready to help you or your teen achieve the perfect smile! Contact our dentists today to schedule your Invisalign consultation.
What Is Invisalign Teen?
Invisalign Teen is a clear aligner system designed to straighten teeth without the need for traditional metal braces. The aligners are made of a clear plastic material that’s virtually invisible when worn, making them a popular choice for teens who may be self-conscious about their appearance.
The Invisalign Teen Process
If Invisalign Teen is a good fit for their oral health needs, we’ll get started on your treatment plan. The clear aligners are created using 3D computer imaging technology that maps out the complete treatment plan, from the initial position of the teeth to the final desired position. This allows patients to see their treatment plan and the anticipated results even before starting their orthodontic journey.
The aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours per day. However, they should be removed for eating, drinking (anything but water), and brushing and flossing your teeth.
What Does Invisalign Teen Correct?
Depending on the severity of the orthodontic issue, Invisalign Teen corrects the following:
- Crowding: This is when there isn’t enough space in the jaw for all the teeth to fit normally. Invisalign can gently move teeth into proper alignment to reduce crowding.
- Tooth Gaps: If there are gaps between teeth due to missing teeth or just simply too much space within the jaw, Invisalign can help close these spaces.
- Overbite: This is when the upper teeth bite over the lower teeth. This is often due to genetics, bad oral habits, or overdevelopment of the bone that supports the teeth.
- Underbite: This occurs when the lower teeth protrude past the front teeth. It’s usually caused by undergrowth of the upper jaw, overgrowth of the lower jaw, or both. It can also be caused by missing upper teeth.
- Crossbite: When the upper and lower jaws are both misaligned, it causes one or more upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth, on either the front and/or the sides of the mouth.
- Open Bite: This occurs when some teeth are unable to make physical contact with the opposing teeth for a proper bite.
Pros vs Cons of Invisalign Teen
- Clear aligners are virtually invisible, making them a popular choice for teens who may be self-conscious about their appearance
- Aligners are removable, making it easier to eat, brush, and floss compared to traditional braces
- Treatment time may be shorter than with traditional braces
- No metal brackets or wires means less discomfort and irritation
- Aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours per day, which can be a challenge for some teens
- Not all orthodontic issues can be corrected with Invisalign Teen
- May be more expensive than traditional braces
Caring for the Clear Aligners
Proper care and maintenance of the aligners are crucial to the success of the treatment. Here are some key care tips:
- Cleaning the Aligners: The aligners should be cleaned every day to remove bacteria and prevent discoloration. Rinse them under lukewarm (never hot) water, and use a soft toothbrush with clear, gentle soap. Avoid colored or scented soaps, which could discolor the aligners. Invisalign also sells cleaning systems specifically designed for their aligners.
- Storing the Aligners: When the aligners aren’t in use, they should be stored in the provided case to prevent damage or misplacement. It’s advised never to wrap the aligners in a napkin during meals, as they can be accidentally thrown away.
- Handling the Aligners: Aligners should be removed and replaced using steady, gentle force. Biting them into place may damage them. If the aligners are tight or difficult to remove, it can help to start from the molars and gently work toward the front of the mouth.
- Scheduled Changes: It’s crucial to follow the orthodontist’s plan for changing the aligners. Typically, this is every 1 to 2 weeks. Wearing each set of aligners for the appropriate amount of time ensures the teeth move at the proper pace.
- Regular Dental Visits: Regular visits to your dentist or orthodontist (usually every 4 to 6 weeks) are necessary to monitor progress and ensure that the treatment is on track. These appointments also provide an opportunity to raise any concerns or issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I still play sports while wearing Invisalign Teen?
Yes, you can still participate in sports and physical activities while wearing Invisalign Teen. The aligners are designed to be comfortable and won’t interfere with most activities. However, it’s recommended that a mouthguard be worn during contact sports to protect both the teeth and the aligners.
Can I switch to Invisalign Teen from traditional braces?
Yes, it’s possible to switch to Invisalign Teen from traditional braces. Your teen’s dentist can evaluate their case and determine whether Invisalign Teen is a suitable option. Depending on the stage of treatment, your teen may need to start over with a new set of aligners or continue where they left off with a new treatment plan.
Is Invisalign Teen more expensive than traditional braces?
The cost of Invisalign Teen varies depending on the individual case and treatment plan. In general, the cost is comparable to traditional braces. However, some insurance plans may cover more of the cost of traditional braces than Invisalign Teen.
Straighten Your Teen’s Teeth Discreetly With Invisalign Teen
We understand the emotional and social impact that crooked teeth can have on a teenager’s confidence and self-esteem. If you’re a teen or a parent of a teen looking to transform your smile and boost your confidence, call our Staten Island dental office today at (718) 948 5111.
Our experienced team is ready to help you achieve the smile you’ve always dreamed of. Don’t let crooked teeth hold you back any longer — take action and schedule your consultation with our Staten Island dentist today.
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.