Prepare Yourself for Dental Implant Success
Dental implant surgery can be a life-changing procedure for those who have lost one or more teeth. It can help restore your smile, improve your ability to chew and speak, and prevent bone loss in your jaw. However, properly preparing for your surgery will help ensure a smooth and successful outcome.
If you’re feeling anxious about your upcoming procedure, there are ways to combat this. Learn how you can manage your anxiety before dental implant treatment and what your sedation options are.
If you have dental implant surgery coming up, our team of Staten Island dentists has created a helpful guide on what to do the day before and the morning of your appointment.
The Day Before Your Appointment
One day before your appointment, you should:
- Arrange for transportation to and from the surgery center. You won’t be able to drive yourself home after the procedure.
- Avoid eating or drinking anything after midnight the night before your surgery. This includes water, as it can cause nausea during the procedure.
- Take any medications prescribed for your procedure as directed.
The Morning of Your Appointment
On the morning of your procedure, you should:
- Follow your dentist or oral surgeon’s instructions regarding fasting. You’ll likely be instructed not to eat or drink anything for several hours before the procedure.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing to your appointment. Avoid clothing with tight collars or buttons that can cause discomfort during the procedure.
- Brush your teeth as usual, but avoid using mouthwash or toothpaste with a strong flavor.
- Take any pre-operative medications as directed by your dentist or surgeon.
- Bring a list of allergies, medications, or medical conditions that may be relevant to the procedure.
Make Plans for Post-Operation
Making plans ahead of time for your recovery process will help ensure success. To be prepared after your procedure, consider doing the following beforehand:
- Lightening your schedule for one week
- Having someone ready to drive you to and from the dentist’s office
- Taking at least two days off of work
- No plans for exercise for at least one week
- Buying soft and cold foods
- Buying over-the-counter pain medications
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do implant-supported dentures last?
Implant-supported dentures can last for many years, sometimes even a lifetime, with proper care and maintenance. You can increase the longevity of your restoration as long as you maintain a rigorous at-home oral hygiene routine and visit your dentist twice a year for checkups.
Are implant-supported dentures painful?
It’s common to experience minor discomfort or pain after implant surgery and during the healing process. However, any discomfort can be managed with cold compresses or over-the-counter pain medications. Most people find that the benefits of implant-supported dentures far outweigh any temporary discomfort.
Can implant-supported dentures be removed?
Unlike traditional dentures, implant-supported dentures are permanently anchored to the jawbone and cannot be removed by the patient. They can only be removed by a dentist. Please don’t attempt to remove the restoration yourself, as this can cause serious damage.
Receive Reliable, Natural-Looking Tooth Replacements
Implant-supported dentures can help you restore your beautiful smile and oral health. To learn more about implant-supported dentures, contact your dentist. If you’re in the Staten Island area, contact our experienced dentists today. We’ll help you determine the best tooth replacement for your needs and goals.
We accept many insurances. Please contact one of our Insurance Coordinators to discuss your dental coverage plan.
(718) 948 5111
Open 7 days a week
The dentists are absolutely excellent…
“I have been going here for years. The dentists are absolutely excellent and they always have an appointment available that fits into a busy schedule. I also completed invisilgn and my teeth are perfectly straight now. They also practice preventive medicine and just went in for my 6 month cleaning. Every time feel like I have a new set of choppers and best yet the check up noted no cavities!.”
“As usual, it was a pleasant visit thanks to Dr. Nasso and her great staff..”
Always treated with courtesy and respect.
“Always treated with courtesy and respect. All of my questions were answered regarding upcoming treatments..”
Put your best face forward.
Create a positive change to your teeth and your smile.